The best topic

Replies: 10395
Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 12:27:42 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Sloan

Question for the Chinese People

Started by RW, February 25, 2014, 08:00:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 2 Window Lickers are viewing this topic.

RW

I don't know if I asked this before or not, but I'm wondering how you feel about corn fed whities doing Chinese accents or impressions?  Do you find it offensive?

I go back and forth to Vancouver a lot and after living in the boonies for a while where this are very few Chinese people, I really notice the accents.  I love the way the Chinese people I interact with say things so when I come home, I reiterate things they've said with the accent (or my lame ass attempt at it).  I might add a joke in there about buying a Gucci knock off at the Richmond Night Market or something as well because it's funny and I like to make people laugh.

I just want to know if I am being offensive because that's not what I am going for at all.
Beware of Gaslighters!

Anonymous

Quote from: "Real Woman"I don't know if I asked this before or not, but I'm wondering how you feel about corn fed whities doing Chinese accents or impressions?  Do you find it offensive?

I go back and forth to Vancouver a lot and after living in the boonies for a while where this are very few Chinese people, I really notice the accents.  I love the way the Chinese people I interact with say things so when I come home, I reiterate things they've said with the accent (or my lame ass attempt at it).  I might add a joke in there about buying a Gucci knock off at the Richmond Night Market or something as well because it's funny and I like to make people laugh.

I just want to know if I am being offensive because that's not what I am going for at all.

I have NOOOOOOOOO problem with it, but I am the Iron Chink and incredibly thick-skinned. To me it depends on context. If you pull your eyes back while I am walking down the street and say ching, chang, chong in Gordy Gambino style I would say what a fucking white trash retard.

RW

Nope, I just do impressions of stories and such and play on mispronunciations.  Juvenile slanty eye slur shit pisses me off.
Beware of Gaslighters!

Anonymous

Quote from: "Real Woman"I don't know if I asked this before or not, but I'm wondering how you feel about corn fed whities doing Chinese accents or impressions?  Do you find it offensive?

I wouldn't recommend you do that with Koreans unless you really know them. Koreans are very sensitive about their English and may misinterpret your good natured humor.

RW

Honestly seoul, I don't know a Korean from a mainland Chinese person :/
Beware of Gaslighters!

Anonymous

Quote from: "Real Woman"Honestly seoul, I don't know a Korean from a mainland Chinese person :/

Honestly, I can't tell a German from a Ukrainian. Old Vesna would be feigning outrage over that statement, but it just is the way it is for me.

Gary Oak

I speak Cantonese and Mandarin Real Welching Woman. You should hear what they say about us. They hate us and these Canadascams are only here for a passport and sell our country to their bosses in Beijing. They all have connections to the triads too.

Anonymous

Hello Real Woman, notice I dropped the Ms? I do that when I feel I have developed a connection with someone..

:)

I don't want to speak for anyone, but the people I know..

There are some similarities for all of us who speak an Asian language as our mother tongue though..

What seoulbro said is most likely correct, some Asians might perceive what you are saying as putting down their English..

Probably best to say a flattering comment first, offer a smile, see if it is reciprocated and then share a joke.

Romero

I think there's a difference between doing an accent or impression and being offensive. Anyone can use or make fun of say Canadian, American or European accents. I think it just depends on whether someone is meaning to be offensive or not.

Romero

Quote from: "Gary Oak"I speak Cantonese and Mandarin Real Welching Woman. You should hear what they say about us. They hate us and these Canadascams are only here for a passport and sell our country to their bosses in Beijing. They all have connections to the triads too.

They Canadascams hate us, are only here for a passport to sell our country to their bosses in Beijing, and oh yeah I almost forgot all have connections to triads too.

Gary, these people of yours don't exist.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Romero"I think there's a difference between doing an accent or impression and being offensive. Anyone can use or make fun of say Canadian, American or European accents. I think it just depends on whether someone is meaning to be offensive or not.

Intent of the person is important, that is true..

But, the other party may misinterpret the joker's intention..

I live my life trying to be careful of other people's feelings, so I am always careful of saying anything that I may regret..

It depends so much on the individual that I cannot give advice about this..

I would recommend caution if someone is unsure.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Romero"I think there's a difference between doing an accent or impression and being offensive. Anyone can use or make fun of say Canadian, American or European accents. I think it just depends on whether someone is meaning to be offensive or not.

I read about a white American senator many years ago that made some stupid stereotypical Asian accent. I believe it was Alphonse D'Amato, but it's late and I am not looking it up tonight. He had to apologize.

There was an old video of Saskatchewan premier Brad Wall joking around with an exaggerated Ukrainian accent and he too had to apologize. Society has become TOO thin-skinned in my opinion.

Odinson

Anonymous

Quote from: "Odinson"Its fun.

For the person doing it, it may be fun..

The people you are mocking may not feel the same way.

Odinson

Quote from: "Fashionista"
Quote from: "Odinson"Its fun.

For the person doing it, it may be fun..

The people you are mocking may not feel the same way.

You have to be ZEN about it.